Thursday 18 October 2012

Don Jail flood sends sewage across 50-bed unit

After a number of overnight shifts due to a wonky course schedule, I was glad to write this story. It was a Star exclusive and my first print byline in weeks, but more importantly it's a story about a serious issue affecting numerous people.

Some of our callers were really distraught, and as a journalist you learn to distance yourself and get the details from people who are suffering. I also co-wrote a follow-up when it this happened again the next day.

Sophia Brown’s 23-year-old son, Tiaven, called her from his unit at the Don Jail.

“He calls me and says, ‘Mom, we’re dying,’ and I can hear the screaming and hollering.”

Three inmates also called the Star Wednesday after a 50-bed section of the jail was flooded with sewage.

See my report in the Toronto Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment