Tuesday 8 May 2012

My first international byline

I made the front page!

Click to enlarge
I got back from a week in Europe yesterday after visiting some friends and doing some freelance work. I pitched a story on the French election to the Star's foreign editor. We wanted to focus on the economy, as debates around identity have already been extensively covered.

I spoke with voters and a Parisian professor who researches political economy. I also consulted the main national papers to be sure I had a good understanding of the issues at hand.

In the end, we folded in details from our wires on what's next for the new president, François Hollande. I filed quite late in the night, but it was really fun to cover such a large story as it broke.

The story ended up on the front page, making two of my goals for working at the Star: a front-page story, and an international byline.

I've focused a lot of my academic work on the continent, and I would like to cover European politics in some capacity in the future.

You can read my article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment