Monday 2 April 2012

My layout project: Helvetia Gazette

Last semester I had a design course, where we learn the essentials of layout and pagination. We learn the rules for good layout, drew up sketches and ultimately made pages that were attractive and easy to read. I learned a lot of this just before the course as a summer copy editor intern at The Gazette in Montreal. But the course gave me a better understanding of layout, and made me realize some of the mistakes I made starting out. My supervisors were stern but patient!

Our final project was to individually design a newspaper with a set criteria of pages and elements, using body copy from any source (as long as it was attributed) but our own display type. We also had to come up with our own style and stick to a detailed contact sheet we had designed. We could pick a community or theme; I went with Switzerland as I had visited the month before and had stories and pictures to use.

Here's the final project I completed back in early December. I got 90%. It suddenly occurred to me that it would be worth posting:

No comments:

Post a Comment